Women's health refers to the branch of medicine that focuses on the treatment and diagnosis of diseases and conditions that affect a woman's physical and emotional well-being.
PREVENTATIVE CARE AND SCREENINGS
Preventative care for women includes the following services:
- Regular gynecological checkups, including a pelvic exam and breast exam
- Pap smear and HPV testing
- Bone density testing
- Breast cancer screening
- Discussions about colon cancer screening
- Age-appropriate immunizations
- Healthy lifestyle risk assessment
- Hormonal testing for menopause
- Screening for STIs
GYNECOLOGY AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES
Gynecology and reproductive health services may include the diagnosis and treatment of various conditions and diseases, including:
- Abnormal Pap smears
- Presence of high-risk HPV
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Heavy menstrual cycles
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Other vaginal infections
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Uterine fibroids
- Uterine and vaginal prolapse
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Various conditions affecting the vulva and vagina
PREGNANCY AND CHILDBIRTH SERVICES
Regular prenatal care is an important part of every pregnancy. Pregnancy and childbirth services include:
- Planning and preparing for pregnancy, including information about proper diet, prenatal vitamins, and review of pre-existing medical conditions and medicines used
- Prenatal care, delivery, and postpartum care
- High-risk pregnancy care (maternal-fetal medicine)
- Breastfeeding and nursing
Infertility specialists are an important part of the women's health services team. Infertility services may include:
- Testing to determine the cause of infertility(a cause may not always be found)
- Blood and imaging tests to monitor ovulation
- Infertility treatments
- Counseling for couples who are dealing with infertility or loss of a baby
Types of infertility treatments that may be offered include:
- Medicines to stimulate ovulation
- Intrauterine insemination
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) -- Injection of a single sperm directly into an egg
- Embryo cryopreservation: Freezing embryos for use at a later date
- Egg donation
- Sperm banking
How can a woman be healthy?
Here are six simple things that women can do every day (or with regularity) to ensure good health:
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Avoid risky habits.
- Manage stress.
- Sun safely.
- Check for breast cancer.
What are some healthy lifestyle choices?
- Don't smoke.
- Be physically active every day.
- Eat a healthy diet rich in whole grains, lean protein, vegetables, and fruits. ...
- Be sure to get enough vitamin D and calcium.
- Maintain a healthy weight and body shape.
- Challenge your mind.
- Build a strong social network.